With this call for projects we want to explore together with artists what a rural art hub is (or can be), while simultaneously finding new ways to use our plot of land in the Tuinen van West. We are looking for ideas for art projects, both ripe and green ones, that fit into nature or the surrounding area. We'll offer support in the development of the ideas we like, and give some of them the opportunity to be presented during the Tuinen van West Fest and be realised on our plot of land.
What can we do for you?
- Provide space on our plot of land, or help you find a different location in the Tuinen van West
- Help you think along to develop your idea further
- Connect your idea to other entries
- Connect you to people in our network
- Help you find contact with people in Geuzenveld and Osdorp
- Attract people via the Tuinen van West Fest
What do we need from you?
1. Planting: April 20th - June 1st
- Come to Wieland - Draw your idea on a sign - Take a picture - Post it on Instagram - Send extra info to Wieland@thebeach.nu
2. Growing: June 1st - September 13th
- We'll share your idea, ask questions to make it more concrete, offer suggestions, connect you to possible collaborators, ask what you need to realise your idea. Doing this, we help you get your idea to the next level.
3. Harvesting: Tuinen van West Fest, September 13th
- A selection of our favourite plans is presented at our harvesting festival Tuinen van West Fest
4. Execution: after Tuinen van West Fest
- We are open and willing to help realising a selection of projects in Wieland
What is Wieland?
Wieland is a little plot of land we rent in Tuinen van West. It is the physical location from which we develop our rural art hub in the Tuinen van West. The goal of the rural hub is to bring together art, city and rurality. We make place for art projects which, for example, involve nature, circularity, (urban) farming, or the different cultures present in the surrounding neighbourhoods.
We are looking to explore the concept of a rural art hub, by seeing what it can do to help people. Through this exploration, we get a better image of a rural art hub's value, and by collaborating with more people we can better show the necessity of such a hub. This will make it easier for us to engage artists in other actors in future projects, allowing us to make even more space for art in the Tuinen van West.
How do you plant your idea?
To participate in our art hub, you need to come to our plot of land in the Tuinen van West and plant your idea on location. See it as a good reason to get out of the house in these times. If you really can't come to Wieland you can also send us an e-mail (see step 6).
Come to Wieland. You'll find our plot of land (75 by 55 meters) in the Tuinen van West, at the crossroads of the Tom Schreursweg and the Joris van den Berghweg (coordinates: 52°22'51.8"N 4°46'53.5"E). Don't forget to bring your own drawing utensils - markers work best on the wooden signs we provide.
Draw or write your project idea on one of the empty wooden signs on the fence along the Joris van den Berghweg. Try your best to show what the project would look like, what interaction people would have with it, and why this would be interesting.
Add any contact details you're comfortable with sharing. It'll make it easier for us or for other who read your idea to reach you fro collaboration or compliments.
Read some of the other plans; there might be something there that you're interested in as well. If a plan ties into yours really well, you can attach your signs to each other using the red thread provided on location. We can then see what kind of collaboration would be possible.
take a picture of your sign and send it to us by posting it on Instagram using #PlantJePlan. If you don't have Instagram, just mail it to us and we'll post it for you!
If your plan is more developed and you want to share more than just a drawing on a sign, you can send it to us via email@example.com. Describe in your e-mail what you still need our help with, so we can help you more effectively. If you're unable to come to Wieland, please attach an image and a short description, so that we can post them on our Instagram.
We'll share your picture on our Instagram and react to it. We'll try to find out what we can do to help you, ask questions, and see if we can connect you to possible collaborators.
During the Tuinen van West Fest we'll organise a harvest festival, where the ideas planted now are harvested by them being presented to all the attendees. After the harvest festival some of the projects will be realised on our plot of land.
Because of the coronavirus outbreak we have a couple of rules for planting:
- Bring your own writing utensils to prevent cross contamination
- Stay at a distance from each other and don't cross the fence - the bulls grazing on Wieland can be dangerous
- Make sure to wash your hands upon return
June 1st is the deadline for entry; in the afternoon we'll come and pick up all the signs. You can still e-mail us afterwards, but there is no guarantee we'll have time to help you.
We strongly believe the world is better when we share our ideas, which is why we help you develop yours in a public place rather than behind closed doors. Your idea is still yours though; we will keep track of who first came up with what.
e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 6385908